These are by far the most expensive parts to date. And for good reason, the quality and craftsmanship put in by builder is on another level. It’s easy to wince at the price when sending a paypal order, but when they arrive, you understand the time and engineering that goes into products like this. This is the first order for parts not directly related to the dome itself. Looks like I’m committed.
Last week these beautiful holoprojectors showed up. They are run by BobC on the Astromech forum. I’m slowly learning that building a droid is an extreme act of patience. What I thought was a very long time, is actually a pretty fast turnaround time for these expertly crafted products.
Very excited to get these put into the dome. They came with their own control mounting hardware, but lately I’ve seen some solutions that allow the projectors to be twisted a full 360° and beyond, and pulled to one side or the other. Very handy if you have children that can’t keep their hands to themselves. I’ll do some more research to find out the best way to mount the servo motors.
These things are beautiful. I can’t get over the fine craftsmanship, tight tolerances, and sheer amount of work that Bob put into these parts. Next update should have a more shiny dome. I’ve decided to go with the chrome, highly polished look because I don’t want it to blend in with all the other droids at a meet up.
The dome is a complicated beast. I keep finding more information about how to finish it, and reconsider the final result I’m looking for. Over the holiday weekend I took some time to remove the panels from the inner dome with an air jigsaw (perfect tool for this job), polished the outer dome panels to my liking, and polished a new aluminum Radar Eye. I also fine-tuned my Artoo Blue paint recipe, waiting 10 minutes between each coat, 20 minutes between different paints. I’ll post some samples soon.
No Dykem. It fades over time, doesn’t provide a reliable bonding surface for additional coats