Dome finishing part II
I started out with the idea of using a scotch-brite pad on the dome while on some kind of ‘Lazy Susan’ rotating platter. Turns out there was one in the house that fit perfectly. If you need a rotating platter for working on your dome, I highly recommend this one.
Soon after using a the light abrasive pad on my freshly polished dome, I realized it was a mistake. I was hoping to add some horizontal lines to the dome to make it look a little more anisotropic that it did. Guess I’ll have to do one more application of Mothers Billet Polish and call it good. Live and learn.
After that, I numbered and cut out all the dome panels of the outer dome. I used a small hand saw, and highly recommend it. I favored the piece being removed when it comes to the excess stubs. Having the pie and other panels cut flush will allow me to trim the tabs with more stability on the dome itself, less hand work piece by piece.
Finally took my test panel of aluminum and applied the trifecta of R2 blue. First the Dykem (no airbrush, just hand-applied), then the Duplicolor Blue, then the clear coat. I think the combination is dead on, but my test application completely sucked. I’ll be using a precision auto-spray gun for the paint application on the actual panels.